Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
Our Laboratory for High Performance Ceramics (LHPC) has an opening for a
for a 3-year cross-disciplinary project funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation, in collaboration with University of California at Davis, United States, and University of Michigan – Shanghai Jiao Tong University Joint Institute in Shanghai, China.
- Synthesize and measure ultrathin metal oxide proton conductors on single crystal substrates and investigate their structure and charge transport properties under solid oxide fuel cell operation conditions and assist in extending the polaron theory,
- write manuscripts for publication,
- present results at conferences.
We are looking for a highly motivated, ambitious and self-driven Physicist with a sound background in solid-state thin film physics and theory. You must have a doctoral degree and should have preferably some years of postdoctoral experience in
- Ultrathin film characterization with x-rays, neutrons, electroanalytical methods
- Transport processes, solid state Ionics, polaron theory
as demonstrated by a competitive and convincing publication record. A fluent oral and written command in English and effective communication skills are mandatory as well as readiness for frequent international travel.
We offer this postdoc position at a research institution in Dübendorf, very close to Zürich, Switzerland, with excellent infrastructure and interdisciplinary environment. The position is available immediately. The contract will be limited initially to two years with a performance based possibility of extension of a third year.