Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Advanced Materials Processing located in Thun has been investigating the interactions between lasers and materials. Thus, fundamental studies are performed to understand and characterize the laser coupling with metal bulks and powders and the knowledge gained is directly applied to industrial applications, such as laser welding, laser structuring and additive manufacturing. The group Powders & Nanocomposites Processing is particularly investigating the fabrication of metal matrix nanocomposites performed by the direct energy deposition additive manufacturing route. The powder transport and behavior are observed by high-speed cameras while the temperature fields are characterized by both high-speed imaging in the infrared range and optical emission spectroscopy. In this context, we are offering a full-time
- Develop optical setups for laser paths as well as for adapting the in-situ optical characterization techniques onto different processing chambers
- Analyses of optical emission spectra and high speed videos
- Improvement of the optical techniques
- Coordinate and participate in the industrial projects
- Write peer-reviewed publications and promote the results at international conferences
- PhD in physics or a related discipline
- Solid background in optics, laser processing, and spectroscopy
- Experience in experimental research and the ability to conduct independent scientific work
- Programming skills (eg. LabView, Python, C++)
- Fluency in English is required; basic oral expression skills in German and/or French are of advantage
We are offering a multifaceted and challenging position in a modern research environment with excellent infrastructure. The position is available from September 2020 and will remain open until filled.