Empa is the research institute for materials science and technology of the ETH Domain and conducts cutting-edge research for the benefit of industry and the well-being of society.
The Laboratory for Mechanical Systems Engineering (MSE) at Empa in Dübendorf focuses on engineering topics related to metals, polymers and fiber reinforced polymers. Our research group „composites“ is offering a full-time
Research on fibre reinforced polymer (FRP) composites suitable for novel additive manufacturing routes and build-up of a respective processing facility for advanced components. The spectrum then includes experiments and simulations on long-term behavior, especially fatigue, micromechanical characterization and multiphysics modelling of the damage mechanisms for novel FRP composites. In addition, the candidate is expected to build up a detailed understanding of the degradation mechanisms with the aim of improving long-term properties under constant and transient mechanical and environmental loads of the additively manufactured FRP components.
- PhD in mechanical engineering or material science focusing on polymer composites
- Experience in FRP composite processing via additive manufacturing
- Experience in project acquisition and leading
- Preferable experience in design / dimensioning and numerical simulation (e.g. finite elements method, multiphysics, multi-scale modelling) of composites
- Interest in experimental research on the long-term behavior, damage mechanisms of composites and polymers and in the development of new and sustainable products / materials
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English language are mandatory, German language skills are beneficial
And are you a highly self-motivated team player ready to work independently? We offer an international, highly stimulating research environment with excellent infrastructure and broad interdisciplinary surroundings with plenty of possibilities for personal and professional development. The project is funded for three years and the position is available upon agreement.