- Develop and ensure the necessary team structure and capacities needed for an effective development and implementation of the programme.
- Organise the administrative management and supervision of the CO and ensure compliance with local legal administrative requirements.
Programme and Project Management
- Manage a well-balanced project portfolio in-line with the programme, including the selection of strategic and operational partners.
- Ensure the effective and efficient implementation of the programme compliant with all standards and procedures of HEKS/EPER through participative monitoring, evaluation, learning and steering. Include HEKS/EPER’s own or external specialists where needed.
- Ensure concise and analytical annual programme and financial reports as well as the annual planning for review by the Head of Programme.
- Advise and assist partner organisations with attaining the set project goals and support them with their own organisational development.
Ensure that costs of the CO are well balanced with the impact/results and volume of the country programme.
- Assume final responsibility for the CO finances and projects according to the FFAG.
- Ensure tight budget follow up and respective reporting.
Acquisition and Fundraising
- Ensure part of the programme funds through acquisition and develop and implement a national acquisition strategy based on the donor landscape.
- Proactivly engage with donors at local and national level and coordinate donor engagement with Head of Programmes and other Country Directors at international level.
- Establish and maintain close cooperation with other actors in country, incl. international and local NGOs, businesses, public authorities and research institutions, for joint resource mobilization in consortia.
Leadership, Human Resources, Security Management, and Administration
- Live and implement HEKS/EPER’s mission statement, values, and policies.
- Apply a caring and supporting role, creating an atmosphere of open and constructive dialog and coach the staff in their professional development, leading to a high performance.
- Responsible that the country office disposes of legally sound staff regulations, salary scales, etc. in line with the FFAG.
Representation, Networking, and Learning
- Represent HEKS/EPER towards the government, the public and other international, regional and local organisations, consortium and networks including the Act Alliances structures.
- Encourage networking and exchanges of experience, create connections within the CO, among partners, grassroots organisations, other group and with governmental bodies.
- Ensure learning and knowledge sharing in country and contribute to HEKS/EPER’s global cooperation strategy, policy development and learning, participate in GC Forums and Regional Meetings.
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant university degree at Master’s level or other relevant experience
- Proven track record of leading teams
- Minimum 5 years’ work experience at senior management level in designing, managing and implementing internationally financed cooperation projects
- Track record in successful acquisition and implementation of internationally funded projects (in consortia, through partner organisations and self-implemented)
- Profound knowledge of international development and regional context
- Strong commitment to a Human right based approach and HEKS/EPER’s values and strategy.
- Proven will and skill to coordinate and to work in cooperation and consortiums with other agencies and state authorities.
Skills and Capabilities
- Team leadership and management skills
- Excellent communication, representation and networking skills and interest
- Experience and strong capabilities in strategy development and programme implementation
- Good knowledge of the international cooperation sector in the country an asset
- Excellent analytical, conceptual and writing skills
- Sound financial management skills
- Working attitude characterized by initiative, integrity, effectiveness, cooperation, participation, and respect
- Sound ICT skills
- Experience in working in fragile contexts
- Available for extended local, national and international travel
- Experience with security management
- Readiness to take the overall responsibility for the country program and to take decisions in time
- Mandatory English skills, local language depending on the context
- A national posting with competitie salary conditions
- Contract duration 12 months, renewable
- Based in Kampala with regular visits to different parts of the country
- Starting date: 1.10.2022