Caritas Switzerland in Syria
This publication has expired. The last date when this publication was published was 7/23/21.
Doing the right thing. We are active in Switzerland and 20 countries on four continents. Join us with a commitment to help us bring about a more caring society, as Caritas Switzerland is a leading aid organization in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid. Our ultimate aim is poverty alleviation. Our International Cooperation programmes focus on income generation, global warming and migration. We are active in some 20 countries. Over the coming years, Caritas Switzerland wants to expand its commitment to disadvantaged people. Join us with a commitment to help us bring about a more caring society, as
Deputy Chief of Party based in Damascus, Syrian Arab Republic (100%)
Caritas Switzerland implements its currently largest humanitarian programme with a strong focus on the humanitarian-development nexus in Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan. The regional programme assists people affected by the conflict through interventions related to ourcore competencies in cash assistance, education in emergencies, and livelihoods.
The Deputy Chief of Party based in Damascus, Syria supports the implementing partners in the setup, administration, management, and monitoring of an ECHO-funded cash-based intervention in Syria. The Syria programme builds on local partnerships and applies / further develops innovative concepts and modalities in humanitarian aid.
• Act as the technical focal point towards implementing partner organisations to support the Chief of Party in the setup of a cash-based intervention in Syria following best-practice.
• Link the implementing partner organisations and the financial service providers and establish robust data exchange between implementing partner organisation and the financial service provider.
• Support the implementing partner organisations in the setup of robust and harmonised internal procedures (including SOPs) for the identification and inclusion of beneficiaries, beneficiary communication (complaint mechanism), provision of awareness sessions, transfer of cash assistance, monitoring of balance, follow-up with beneficiaries, reconciliation with financial service providers, and monitoring and reporting.
• Support the implementing partner organisations in the configuration of their data management systems and ensure that harmonisation of the data structure among implementing partners in line with data protection best practices.
• Ensure that child protection, protection, safeguarding, and data protection considerations are mainstreamed from the beginning of the project setup and the setup follows the agreed plan of action.
• Ensure the financial compliance of activities with donor standards and national and international accounting standards and the implementation follows the agreed action plan and highlight arising risks to the Chief of Party without undue delay.
• Provide hands-on operational support to the implementing partner organisation
• Ensure quality information management through regular meetings and updating of internal documentation and grant management tools, including coordination and preparation of documents and files for audits in liaison with finance team.
• Develop linkages to other internal and external actors for longer term assistance
• Lead program administration, operations, implementation, and fiscal management to ensure financial activity aligns with budget allocations, internal policies, and donor regulations;
• A clear understanding of high-quality technical leadership and oversight for the program including prioritizing training opportunities for program teams
• Provide effective coordination among project partners, local government and authorities, community and private sector partners, INGOs, CBOs and other key partners
• Support the Chief of Party in the revision of the project following lessons learnt
• Support the Consortium in the development of a harmonised MEAL system incl. development and applying of data collection, monitoring, analysis and feedback tools / mechanisms.
• Support the implementing partners and Caritas Switzerland in the collection and analysis of accurate data (quantitative and qualitative) for monthly, interim and final reports.
• Setup and management of an independent monitoring system operated by Caritas Switzerland
• Support in the set-up of effective mechanisms for collecting and responding to feedback from the communities and key stakeholders to ensure accountability.
• Check financial reports provided by implementing partners including transfer lists and balance reports from financial service providers.
• Support the Chief of Party in the preparation and implementation of evaluations.
• Support the Chief of Party, the Syria Country Director and the Regional Director in the donor management including the organisation of donor visits.
• Lead the development of proposals following the consortium and CACH guidelines
• Take the lead in researching and developing new projects based on identified gaps/needs.
• Carry out other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
• Relevant university degree in political science, international development, economics or other related field
• Minimum of 5 years working experience in the management of humanitarian, livelihood, or protection projects
• Strong proven track record in the implementation, development, and monitoring of CVA based programming
• Possess a clear understanding of the graduation approach and the benefits of linkages between basic needs assistance and longer-term assistance is crucial. Ability to link/Support in developing relevant basic needs and livelihood programming.
• Strong project management skills, incl. Project Cycle Management (design, planning, budgeting and monitoring), preferably in cash-based projects.
• Previous experience in a Syrian or Middle Eastern context is preferable
• Strong organizational and coordination skills as well as strong motivation to work in consortia with national and international organizations.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team, open-minded personality, eager for knowledge and learning.
• Sense of responsibility, team spirit, strong listening, comprehension and dialogue skills.
• Respect for the special vision and mission of Caritas.
• Flexibility and readiness to take on additional tasks.
• Excellent written and spoken English skills are required, preferably also Arabic skills.